Maternal and child health
Immunisation session to go ahead
Ararat Rural City Council's Maternal Child Health Service is going ahead with its free monthly immunisation session on the 3rd Wednesday of every month.
- The session is by appointment only, please phone us on 5355 0224.
- Please do not attend if you or your child are unwell
- The service also has the flu vaccine available for 6 months to under 5 years.
- Appointments will be at the MCH Centre in the East Grampians Community Health Centre, Girdlestone Street, Ararat.
If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate in contacting our Maternal and Child Health Nurses on 5355 0224.
Have you heard about the Ararat Maternal and Child Health Service?
- we provide a free service for families with babies and children aged from birth to 4 years
- the service is funded by the state government and Council
- we promote the health and wellbeing of families
- we monitor the health, growth and development of babies & children
- we give support and advice on health and parenting issues
- the service is a valuable resource for information on all things family
How can I use this service?
- we offer an initial home visit after your new baby is born as well as appointments at the maternal and child health centres across the municipality
- health & development checks are recommended at: 2 Weeks; 4 Weeks; 8 Weeks; 4 Months; 8 Months; 12 Months; 18 Months; 2 Years; and 3.5 Years
- additional visits outside these ages are also welcome
When can I see the Maternal & Child Health Nurses?
The Ararat Office is located inside the newly renovated East Grampians Community Health Centre at 51-59 Girdlestone Street, Ararat. Our phone number is 5355 0224.
What if I live out of town?
Our nurses visit Lake Bolac, Willaura, Streatham, Moyston and Elmhurst regularly.
Rural Centres by appointment (contact the Ararat centre):
- Elmhurst - by appointment only - Bush Nursing Centre
- Moyston - first Wednesday of the month - 9.30 - 11.30am - Moyston Primary School Playgroup - drop-in session
- Streatham - second or fourth Tuesday of the month by appointment only - MCH building in Campbell Street
- Lake Bolac - second or fourth Tuesday of the month by appointment at Lake Bolac Bush Nursing Centre
- Willaura - second Wednesday of the month - 9.30am - 11.30am at Willaura Primary School Playgroup.
Are you new to town and have young children?
We can give advice about local services, kinder enrolments, playgroups and activities in and around Ararat.
Feel free to use our waiting room as a safe area to feed, change or play when you are out and about.
New Parent Groups are run on a regular basis for first-time parents to meet and share experiences.
Our Facebook page also is a great source of information.
Where can I get my child immunised?
Our trained, specialists immunisation nurses provide a range of vaccinations and advice. We offer free immunisations to:
- Children aged 0-4 years, vaccinations are held on the third Wednesday of each month at the Ararat Maternal & Child Health Centre (MCHC) by appointment only. Phone 5355 0224 for details.
- Lake Bolac by appointment only
- Secondary school students as part of the Secondary School Immunisation Program
- Free seasonal Flu Vaccine for children 6 months - 5 years old by appointment only.
To make an appointment, please contact the Ararat MCHC on Phone 5355 0224 for details
Did you know you can access your child’s immunisation records over the internet?
Go to the Medicare Australia website, and register for a password. This gives you secure access to your child’s records