Emergencies can happen at any time and are usually unexpected. Ararat Rural City is exposed to a variety of natural hazards, including floods, fires and storms.
Council and emergency services are here to help in the event of an emergency, but there are things that can be done to ensure the safety of homes and businesses.
It is important that all of the community have an emergency plan and get involved in a community planning to help prepare for an emergency.
Fire Danger Period
Grampians Fire Danger Information
Ararat Rural City Council works in partnership with the community, responsible authorities and other relevant agencies and organisations to prevent and minimise the occurrence of emergencies and their impacts on the community.
- Prepare the Municipal Emergency Management Plan (MEMP) which includes specific sub plans for fires, floods, storms, heatwaves and pandemics
- Implement relevant local government legislation (eg. fire, health, building and planning)
- Assess hazards and undertake appropriate preventative measures, like private property fire hazard inspections
- Provide support to community resilience-building programs
- Work with other councils across the Grampians region to increase our capacity and capability to respond in an emergency