At Ararat Rural City Council we provide a wide range of waste and recycling services; many of these are supplemented by commercial services within our very own community.
Ararat Rural City Council is part of the Grampians Central West Waste and Resource Recovery Group. Member Councils work together to get a consistent approach across the region, to share waste management and educational resources and jointly tender to minimise the costs to individual councils.
Primary services available to residents are:
- A waste collection service to residents in Ararat, Buangor, Elmhurst, Lake Bolac, Mount Cole, Moyston, Pomonal, Streatham, Warrak, Wickliffe and Willaura as well as along some of the transit routes around these areas.
- A recycling collection in Ararat (only)
- Waste, recycling and re-use drop off at our Transfer Stations in Ararat, Elmhurst, Lake Bolac, Moyston, Pomonal, Tatyoon, Streatham and Willaura.
Council receives all sorted green waste at their transfer stations, where it is checked for contamination. The green waste received is generally shredded and composted then utilised around the region.
Alternatively, give your family the delight of running a ’Worm Farm’ for your green waste and organic food scraps or set up composting at home. It’s really easy if you follow a few basic rules.
For those ratepayers who do not have a trailer
- Try home composting or worm farming
- Use fold-up reusable garden containers and take them to the transfer station in your car boot
- Contact a commercial skip provider if you have a large amounts.
Council does not provide commercial recycling, however there are private businesses around the Grampians area that provide collection services.